Chapters

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

a global citizen.

As some of you know, I grew a wild hair and enrolled myself back in school earlier this month to obtain yet another degree. Although I graduated from the same school in September, I am still considered to be a "new" student. A new requirement for all "new" students is to take a course on Global Citizenship to learn what is means to be, and what we need to do to become more of a, you guessed it, global citizen.

In week two I learned that one of the requirements that I need to meet in order to pass the course is to donate my time to volunteer; which would be all fine and dandy...if I had TIME. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE volunteering. But between work, other classes, kids, etc etc etc... I had NO idea where I was going to pull "time" from.

Last night I attended an optional meeting about the global citizenship project, and I will be forever grateful that I did. I learned that volunteering doesn't mean giving up hours of your time each week for a cause. There are many organizations that are seeking "virtual volunteers" for assistance on projects that can take as little as 15 minutes to complete right in your own home. There are even projects that I can have Jack help with. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Volunteermatch.org is a site that was recommended to me, and now I am recommending it back to you! You can search for in-person and virtual volunteer opportunities in your area and it's a great way to give some good back to your local community without having to dedicate a lot of your time. What can you do today to make someone else's life better?

No comments:

Post a Comment